May 05, 2024, 03:22:11 AM

Author Topic: Walk-through guide for Zoinky's hack and Project 64 tweaks  (Read 36737 times)

blitzmaster5000

• View Profile
Walk-through guide for Zoinky's hack and Project 64 tweaks
« on: December 30, 2015, 04:56:44 PM »
I finally got around to playing Zoinky's patch and used the roster editor, and they are absolutely amazing! I had some issues along the way and figured I would post them here with my solutions in case others have the same problems. Thanks Jake, Zoinky, and Idabadas for these additions.

Here is a walk-through guide for how to install Zoinky’s patch. I also include some graphical tweaks to Project64 I had to do in order to get it running smoothly and looking good.

Installing Zoinky’s Patch

1.   Obtain a N64 NFL Blitz 2000 ROM.
2.   Download and unzip Zoinky’s patch: http://nflblitzfans.com/index.php?topic=53.0
3.   Download xdelta: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/598/
4.   open xdeltaUI – a window opens with the tab “apply patch” highlighted.
5.   Find Zoinky’s patch by clicking the “open” button for the “Patch” field and go to the directory you unzipped it to.
6.   Open either the “Blitz2k-10_team+.xdelta” or “Blitz2k-11_team+.xdelta” file. You will know which one to use by patching it (step 9). If it gives you an error saying “target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT”, try using the other file.
7.   Find your Blitz 2000 ROM by clicking the “open” button for the “source file” field and go to the directory you saved it to
8.   Hit the “…” button in the “Output File” field to save it. Be sure to save it as XX.z64 or XX.n64 (depending on the file type of the original ROM) where XX = the name you want to give it (i.e. Blitz2015.z64)
9.   Hit the “Patch” button. If it worked, it will say “file patched successfully”.

Troubleshooting installation of Zoinky’s patch

There are two parts that can give you an issue. The first is that the ROM you have is the incorrect type, or you are using the wrong patch (10 versus 11) on the correct ROM. Additionally, don’t forget to include the file extension in the output file name. Try the following if you have issues:

1. Using the same ROM, try patching with the other version. If this does not work again, then you probably need a different ROM.

2. Find a different ROM and try patching them.

Troubleshooting Project64 settings

I have found that P64 can be buggy at times, especially for some reason with the Blitz 2000 ROM I use. For instance, the frame rate is very low (~2 fps), making it unplayable. Also, I have had issues with the emulator drawing the yard lines. Here are a few things you can try if you have similar issues.

I also noticed Jabu’s Direct3D graphics Plugin does not let me play full screen but using Glide does. I have read online this is a Windows 10 issue; i.e. if you have any version of Windows prior to this, it should work. This was the case with mine, as full screen worked just fine using Windows 8.

Before changing anything, set advanced settings on by going to: Options -> Settings -> Options -> uncheck “Hide advanced settings”.

Issue: Cannot play full screen

Solution: If you are using Jabu’s Direct3D8 plugin on Windows 10, this is most likely the issue. So far I have not been able to fix this, besides changing the plugin to Glide64. To do this: Options  Plugins -> Change Video plugin to Glide64.

You can change the video settings in Options -> Configure Graphics Plugin…

Issue: extremely low frame rate

Solution: Open your ROM in P64. Once running, go to: Options -> Settings -> Config:blitz2k  (expand to show “Recompiler & Plugins”); in the “Recompiler” window, change “CPU core style from “Recompiler” to “Interpreter”.

This should fix the frame rate issue. If it doesn’t, it maybe something with your hardware or video settings. Try playing with the video settings if so.

Issue: No yard lines appear on field

Solution:If using Jabu’s Direct3D8 graphics plugin , go to: Options -> Configure Graphics Plugin -> Advanced tab -> uncheck “Force legacy pixel pipeline”

If using Glide64: Goto: Options -> Configure Graphics Plugin -> Emulation settings tab -> LOD calculation: set to either FAST or PRECISE

Also, I should mention that if you are interested in using N64 controllers for your PC, by far the best way to do it is to use the MAYFLASH N64 adapter: http://www.amazon.com/MAYFLASH-N64-Controller-Adapter-For/dp/B002B9FIUU

These allow you to hook up 2 controllers per USB port. I have tested this out and have gotten up to 4 controllers working using two MAYFLASH adapters. I highly recommend them if you are interested in playing on your PC versus the actual console. There is no issue with delay/response time, and they are easy to install (just follow the top rated review on Amazon if you have problems). These are a much better alternative to using the knock-off N64 USB controllers that are out there.

You can also use Xbox 360 controllers as long as you get the drivers from Microsoft. If you have wireless controllers, you will need a wireless adapter.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 07:15:35 AM by jaker3 »

jaker3

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Walk-through guide for Zoinky's hack and Project 64 tweaks
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 12:15:23 PM »
Thanks Blitz master for putting this together, been super busy with the holidays!
Also, I added blitz 2001 to the roster editor, I hope to upload it soon.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 12:17:31 PM by jaker3 »

blitzmaster5000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 04:49:50 PM »
No problem Jake. I'm still trying to work on some of the other hacks I mentioned a while back.

Do you have an active link to the graphics editor? I couldn't find a link that worked. I wouldn't mind taking a look at it. Also, What are you writing these programs in (the roster & graphics editors)? Just curious.

jaker3

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 12:06:35 PM »
Hey Blitzmaster, I reuploaded it:
http://nflblitzfans.com/index.php?topic=61.0

I create all the tools in csharp, I plan on making them open source after I clean up the code, a lot of it is quick and dirty.

MrMcCormick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 10:16:45 PM »
You guys are awesome. I have one last question... Does anyone have any outlet to playing this game online. My buddy and me have literally tried everything... Hamachi, AQZ netplay, Servers that come with the emulators... The closest we got was with Kalleria i think its called. We set up a game but for some reason the game only recognized the 2nd controller. Im at my wits end with it. Would love to get this thing rolling as my buddy is going to be moving to another state. Any advice from the Blitz gods out there?? thanks for everything!!!

DiscoTaco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 09:12:31 AM »

Thanks Blitz master for putting this together, been super busy with the holidays!
Also, I added blitz 2001 to the roster editor, I hope to upload it soon.

Hey Jaker3 happy new year! Would the roster editor work with the Dreamcast Version of NFL Blitz 2001? Or is this just for N64 exclusively? I also have a very rare version of the original NFL Blitz PC game. It runs at 60fps and I think it's modifiable. I can send you a copy of it if you'd like.

jaker3

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 03:56:59 PM »
Hey DiscoTaco,

I can add support for PC/dream cast pretty quickly, I have a copy on Blitz for the PC... I'll see if I can get to it this week.

@MrMcCormick, I know a few users are able to get the normal nfl blitz 2000 to work, is the issue your facing with the patched rom?

jaker3

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 07:20:51 PM »
Been working on a PC edit file, taking a bit longer to test since the game crashes and locks my PC up if it is invalid.

TAPFS

• With the facial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 12:48:27 AM »
Does anyone have Zoinky's patch that they could re-upload? I tried to use the link from the OP but MediaFire says the link was made private.

jaker3

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 07:15:19 AM »
Did you check ou thtis post:
http://nflblitzfans.com/index.php?topic=53.0
Link is:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/pmlgir7ztceetqi/Blitz2k+%281%29.7z
let me know if that one doesn't work and I'll upload another one.
Also welcome to the forum!

TAPFS

• With the facial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 11:02:11 AM »
Sorry about that jaker, I must have overlooked that post. That link works so no need to upload another one. Thanks for forwarding it to me though, I appreciate it. :) Also, thanks, I'm hoping to make some cool stuff for the community ^_^

BBOPseut

• View Profile
    • Охранно-пожарная панель Ritm Контакт GSM-5-2
-
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2024, 01:11:32 AM »
I heard Eisen saying the troubles here had more to do with him buying a couple of recruits burgers and then not wanting to cooperate when confronted about that.

Burgers.